Sunday, September 09, 2007

Osama Bin Laden and 9/11

As I'm taking a bit of a break from my "Withdrawing from Iraq" series, I wanted to address a pressing issue that has become inflamed over the past couple of days since OBL's new video hit the net. I took the time to read the transcript of his message before the video even came online, and found something intriguing, not about the message per se, but about how I was interpreting it. I by no means support Bin Laden or Al Qaeda, and to the contrary, I despise him. However, having a more or less thorough knowledge of the histories and backgrounds of both Bin Laden and W. Bush, I've almost always found it easier to understand (in perspective) what Bin Laden's saying rather than what Bush is saying, and I have to put up with his gibberish day in and day out. I think it says something about the articulating powers of our foes over our own leaders.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I'm sure everyone is well aware, this Tuesday will mark the 6th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks. Perhaps in stating the obvious, it's a day that all of us remember vividly; one of those rare experiences that is commonly shared by everyone. One of the "positive" outcomes of that tragic day, was that for a week or so afterwards, we as Americans united in a way that was unprecedented in modern times. Stories abound of strangers helping one another, tolerance took hold, and for the first time ever, murders didn't lead newscasts, nor were they even discussed. It was almost as if the filth and sin that normally clogs society had disappeared. Slowly, however, it crept back into day to day life and has returned in full force. I'm not saying this as a Christian, or as an overly tolerant hippy-liberal, I'm saying this as an American.

Why can't we all just get along, like we did after 9/11?

1 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Blogger The Heretic said...

Sadly my friend, it takes tragedies to unite us, but those same tragedies wind up dividing us even more.

Each side will blame the other side for the tragedy, and not accept the blame when it needs to be cast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home